Personal Progress Interviews
Sometimes (well a lot of the times) we have to stay on top of our Young Women to see where they are at when working toward their Medallion and Honor Bee. I like to have semi-annual Personal Progress Interviews with the girls and one of their parents. I like to schedule them around General Conference time (not the actual day, but just that time of year) so that it's easy to keep track of when you had the interviews.
I've done it 2 ways:
1: All the Young Women (and their parent) came to a designated leader's house and either met with the YW President, 1st Counselor, or 2nd Counselor. It's pretty much like Visiting Teaching interviews, except it's Personal Progress.
2: I've also done these where it was just your age group. For example, just the Mia Maids went to a certain house where they and their parent met with both the 1st Counselor and Mia Maid Advisor.
Hope that makes sense.... :)
We've always had a "waiting area" that had soft church music playing and little snacks or treats for the YW and their parents to enjoy while they wait for their turn for their interview. Just in case they are running behind or if a YW shows up early. When we did it the above #1 way, our YW Secretary hung around in the "waiting area" and would kind of keep the interviews going by sending the YW and parent into the next interview once a leader was available.
What do you do in the interview?
Well, at the interview you sit down with the Young Woman and their parent and go over their progress in the Personal Progress Program.
- Check to make sure their master chart is updated
- See if they are logged on for online Personal Progress
- Check to make sure they are updated on their Personal Progress Ribbon Bookmark and that it's made correctly (there is a you tube video some Laurels made to show how to make them. Yes... seriously!! Tons easier to understand than the directions that come with the bookmark!)
- Answer any questions about the Personal Progress Program.
- Go over the Honor Bee, if they are ready to begin.
- Have them pick out a project or experience for YW in Excellence (finalize it in their October interview)
- Make goals of what Personal Progress experiences or projects they want to have done in the next 6 months. (6 months is when you will have your next round of Personal Progress Interviews)
These are the forms I use:
This is the sign up sheet I send around in Opening Exercises for the girl's the sign up for their interview time. Send this around a couple weeks before the actual interviews.
These were the reminders we would hand out to the girls either the Sunday before or day of the interview. Just as a last minute reminder of when they signed up for their interview and when and where it's at.
This is the form the YW leader has in front of her while conducting the interview. Make sure you write the goals in both places. You cut off the bottom copy so the YW and parent go home with a copy of the goal they made during their interview. I then file this with the Young Woman's chart so I will have it to reference to for the next 6 months.
** Make sure you follow up with them!!! I like to send a little postcard or letter in the mail after it's been about 3 months with their goals listed for them again. Just in case they lost that slip of paper. :) **
Hope you find this helpful!! :)